Had a chance to have coffee with an established fashion photographer Friday evening. One of the topics discussed was the importance of a clean and effective website if you're trying to work with an agency. After our conversation its obvious I need to work on my portfolio to focus on a consistent look. Here are some comments from our conversation:
- Your portfolio needs a consistent look ("flow"),
- Hair & makeup doesn't have to be similar but the look needs to be consistent (i.e., don't put in something over the top if everything else has a fashion look),
- Its OK to mix color & B&W as long the tone smoothly transitions,
- Fashion photographs should be cropped 9x12" ,
- Use models with similar skin tones,
- Put only your best images in your portfolio,
- Have other photographers or trusted individual review your portfiolio. It's always helpful to get other people's opinion,
- Have photos in your portfolio consistent with the work you're trying to represent. If you are looking for fashion representation, don't add family portraits or wedding work as an example.
I have some work to do......